Сhurches and Сathedrals

Grand Choral Synagogue

Great Choral Synagogue, the spiritual center of Petersburg, multi-religious Jews. Built in the late 19th century on the orders of Alexander II, as a gesture of liberalization and the easing of restrictions for Jews, to the same, high level of education of the past could quickly occupy high positions in the machine and help gosudartsvennoy to grow the community. But even after the approval of the king of the search for land for the construction of the building (by the way, too, erected on the...

Compound Staro Athos St. Andrew male monastery

By the beginning of XX century the monastery of St. Andrew was the largest monastery on Mount Athos. In 1860 in the monastery began construction of the Cathedral of St. Andrew. In 1861 in Russia to collect this stproitelstvo funds privenzli icon of the Mother of God “The sorrow and grief consolation”. It was also decided to set up in St. Petersburg Athos courtyard. Dlchya farmstead device, the merchant’s wife in 1875 Dzhamusova AU pozheertvovala land with stone house. The...

Church of St. Simeon and Anna

At the site of this building in honor of the eldest daughter of Peter I – Anna Petrovna church was built of wood in the name of Archangel Michael when it decayed, Queen Anna Ivanovna ordered to lay a new stone.. Construction was carried out in an extremely short period of time. On the bell tower of the building height of 47 meters placed a clock with the battle lost at the end of 1731, 18 veka.V architect M. Zemtsov executed drawing, and in 1734 the temple was mainly otdelan.27 January...

Prince Vladimir Cathedral

The official name – the Cathedral of St. Prince Vladimir current Orthodox church and a monument of architecture of XVIII veka.V 1708 here, on a swampy place, a small wooden church named after St. Nicholas was built.. In 1713 at the same location it was built Mazankova temple. Its main altar was consecrated in 1719 in the presence of Peter the Great in honor of the Assumption of Our Lady. The size and number of Thrones this temple surpassed other (Trinity, St. Peter and Paul, St....

Church of Shestakov icon of the Mother of God of the Georgian parish

Church of Shestakov icon of the Mother of God was designed in 1897 by architect. NN Nikonov for farmstead Shestakovsky Ascension Monastery of Tver diocese. By 1900, construction was completed on the site of the old wooden church. The foundation stone was consecrated by St. Rights. John of Kronstadt. Church on a high basement is built in the style of the XVII century in the image of Shatrovo-domed churches of Moscow and Yaroslavl. In 1932, the temple and the courtyard were closed and handed...

Church of Holy Mother of God (Old Believers)

The temple was built in 1906, consecrated -. In 1908, on the feast of Our Lady of the Icon of the Sign temple has Pskov, Novgorod features a checkered plaster layer eaves and majolica characterize the style of Art Nouveau. Solid fence around the site is equipped with elements in the form of loopholes, making it similar in appearance to the monastery. Above the entrance to the chief administrations and crosses and icons. On the front of the cross – Eight titlovany on the chief...