The building of the Main Staff-ring closes in the Palace Square, the Winter Palace creating neperedovaemoe sense of integrity.
Construction of more than half a kilometer of the building lasted 10 years, from 1819 year. In addition to the above staff, there were also military, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Finance. With the advent of the headquarters of the Soviet regime took the People’s Commissariat of Foreign Affairs and the police station. During the blockade, it is not much affected, because it was a safe shelter under the tents; but it was later decided to give oriental body Hermitage. Besides him there periodically hosts major events such as the International Legal Forum.