The monumental building with a glorious history
first building on the site was the home of His Serene Highness Prince AD Menshikov. Later the house passed into the ownership of the Vice-Chancellor A. Osterman, then chancellor AP Bestuzhev-Ryumin, for which it was rebuilt in the style of “baroque”. In 1763 the building after the next adjustment, the Senate moved. In 1780-1790-ies the building was again rebuilt, this time – in the style of Russian classicism, apparently, architect IE Starov. In the years 1829-34 all the buildings have been reconstructed under the project of Karl Rossi and gained their present majestic appearance. Today, one wing of the building occupied by the Russian Federation Constitutional Court Division, the other – open in 2009 Presidential Library named after Boris Yeltsin.