The oldest of the Philharmonic of Russia. It consists of small and large halls, located at a distance from each other.
Hall, which now houses the Philharmonic Hall, built in 1839 for the Noble Assembly of St. Petersburg.
It is characterized by top-class acoustics and the end of the 1840s took a central place in the musical life of St. Petersburg. The Philharmonic gave concerts famous musicians of the nineteenth century: F. Liszt, H. Berlioz, R. Wagner, Mahler, A. Rubinstein, K.Shuman, P.Viardo, Sarasate and others. It was the first place in which the audience heard works of the classics of Russian music of Borodin, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov and Glazunov.
June 12, 1921 was the grand opening of the Petrograd Philharmonic.
Today, Great Hall of the St. Petersburg Philharmonic takes pride place among the best concert halls of classical European music. Speech it honorable and prestigious for any musician and orchestra.