Impersonation power and greatness of the state of the Navy, as well as a reference to the ancient Roman custom of decorating the columns rostra defeated enemy ships.
Rostral columns were erected in 1810 and in the XIX century functioned as beacons port of the northern capital. Inside each tower is a spiral staircase leading to the upper terrace with a huge bowl-lamp and a metal tripod that holds it. In a bowl filled hemp oil, which gives a huge pillar of fire, showing the way the ships in the darkness of night, or a shroud of fog. It was not until 1896, which brought electricity to the columns. In 1957 he became beacons are lit by gas for reasons of economy.
Today beacons are lit only on special occasions.
Sculpture that adorns the rostral column, created in the years 1810-1811, at the same time with the whole ensemble, in which fully manifested as a characteristic of the era of the classical synthesis of the arts. Architecture and sculpture up here indissoluble unity, complementing each other. Initially, Thomas de Thomon author of the project assumed the entire cast in bronze sculptural decoration, but because of the complexity of the work had to perform a statue of pudostskogo limestone. This material to a greater extent than other stone rocks, exposed to the damaging effects of changes in temperature, precipitation, industrial emissions, the cold and wet climate, so often have to restore the sculpture.