Victory Square is in place, the former in the XVIII century, an intermediate guard post in front of St. Petersburg, where now there are Moscow and Pulkovo Highway
first of the posts are placed at the foot of the Pulkovo heights, the third and final, -. At Ligovsky Canal. In the middle of the XVIII century at the current Victory Square appeared wooden signpost depicting a hand showing the direction of St. Petersburg, Moscow, Tsarskoye Selo and Peterhof. they were at one time in four, in another three – in the direction of Tsarskoye Selo and Moscow were united. Road Palace, erected here on the project Rastrelli, popularly called “the house in three hands”.
In 1962 the palace was demolished, and the area was named in honor of the victory in the Great Patriotic War. North part of it surround two 22-storey house, built in 1973-1975. On the square in 1957 laid the monument to the heroes of the defenders of Leningrad. It was built in 1974. Mid architectural sculpture adorns the 48-meter high stele. The complex also includes an underground memorial hall. It borders the “broken circle” and a memorial hall with the names of 652 Heroes of the Soviet Union, have earned it the title of the battles for the defense of Leningrad. Inauguration of the Monument on May 9, 1975, the 30th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War.