Initially passage represented a quarter of the street, overlain by a transparent roof made of metal and glass.
First passage were shops Shchukin yard at the corner of Sadovaya Street and University, but this name was fixed only for one building in our city. Construction began in 1848, and even then there are two floors of shops, and the third was adapted for residential purposes, and a cellar for storage of products have been installed. Besides shops there are placed all sorts of entertainment: concert hall, billiard room, office Wax and more. And to this day in the mall shops, and the building itself has changed significantly, there were add-glass windows; façades have been redone.